To describe the rapid diagnosis, treatment, and clinical course of a dog that ingested an amanitin-containing mushroom.
A 2-month-old female intact Australian Shepherd presented with diarrhea and vomiting, along with a possible mushroom exposure. Upon presentation, the dog’s urine was collected and tested positive by a point-of-care rapid diagnostic test specific for detecting amanitins, the causative agents of amatoxicosis.
New or Unique Information Provided
This is the first reported case of amatoxicosis that was diagnosed using a point-of-care test prior to starting treatment. An early diagnosis helps to guide early treatment decisions in this frequently fatal toxicosis.
Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care, EarlyView.Wiley: Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care: Table of Contents