To describe a population of dogs with hops toxicosis, including clinical signs observed, treatments performed, patient outcome, and overall prognosis. Clinical findings and treatment interventions were evaluated for their potential effects on outcome. This study also aims to review hops toxicosis and treatment options.
Retrospective observational study.
Poison Control Center.
Seventy-one dogs presenting for hops ingestion.
Measurements and main results
Records of 71 dogs with known hops ingestion from the ASPCA – Animal Poison Control Center (ASPCA-APCC) database and the Tufts University medical record system were reviewed. Fifty-nine (77%) of the dogs survived. The most common clinical signs on presentation were hyperthermia and tachycardia, with presenting temperatures and heart rates significantly higher in nonsurvivors. There was no significant difference between survivors and nonsurvivors in regard to signalment. Time to presentation was shorter in survivors (5.0 vs 5.5 h; P < 0.0001). The median amount of hops ingested was higher in nonsurvivors (2 vs 2.5 oz; P < 0.0001). Hops ingestion caused hyperthermia in 96% (68/71) of dogs. The median time to death in the nonsurvivor group was 10.7 hours (2-30 h). None of the decontamination, cooling, or treatment measures (dantrolene, cyproheptadine, sedatives) evaluated in this population were associated with improved survival. After adjusting for cooling, time to presentation, and dantrolene administration, every degree of elevation in temperature was associated with a 78% increased chance of death. All dogs that survived to discharge had complete resolution of clinical signs.
Hops toxicosis can result in significant hyperthermia, tachypnea, and tachycardia. Seventy-seven percent of dogs survived with intensive treatment. Continued education of the potential for hops toxicosis is advised.
Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care, EarlyView.Wiley: Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care: Table of Contents