To describe the clinical signs and outcome following ivermectin overdose in a bearded dragon. This case also describes the novel use of intravenous lipid emulsion (ILE) as a rescue therapy in reptiles, as well as the use of aggressive gastrointestinal decontamination.
A 4-year-old female intact bearded dragon (Pogona vitticeps) (0.6 kg) was admitted to the ICU at a specialty hospital following accidental overdose of 40 mg (66.7 mg/kg) of ivermectin enterally. The patient was physically inverted to allow passive reflux of the medication, then sedated for gastric lavage. A 20% ILE was administered intravenously due to the high risk for fatality. Additional treatments included 2 doses of activated charcoal, as well as SC fluids, enteral nutrition, and sucralfate. The patient was profoundly sedate until day 4 when mild improvements in mentation were noted. The patient started ambulating on its own on day 6 and was discharged from the hospital on day 13. The patient was alive 720 days postdischarge.
New or Unique Information Provided
This is the first case report describing the events following ivermectin overdose and the use of ILE therapy and activated charcoal in a bearded dragon. These therapies were tolerated with no adverse effects noted in this patient. This report provides evidence that complete recovery from ivermectin overdose is possible.
Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care, EarlyView.Wiley: Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care: Table of Contents